Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I just got done watching the second annual American Idol "Idol Gives Back". I was looking forward to this episode this year, because it encourages people to get involved. It tugs at your heart, they educate you, and they pull you in. This year, after experiencing Kenya just 4 months ago, it especially broke my heart. I cried for the babies that I saw on the screen not just because they were hurting, but because I could put names to them. No, I didn't know that specific child, but that child looked like a child I met. Or that mother looked like a mother that I met while staying in Kenya. I cried for Luke. I cried for Lucy. I cried for Timothy. For Matthew. For Hannah. For the workers. For Kenya women.


At the end of the show tonight all of the American Idol contestants, along with a choir, got on stage and sang "Shout to the Lord". I stopped what I was doing, looked straight at the tv screen with my mouth hanging open and just thought "they get it!" they really get it! They realized that the real giver, healer, and creater is God. They got it! But then, I have to say I was thoroughly let down when Ben Stiller comes on right after they were done with that song and starts cussing. Of course they bleeped it out, but we all know what he was saying. Yes, he's a comedian. Yes, he was being funny. But also, he ruined a powerful moment. I don't blame him. I blame a country full of people who might not be ready to hear something so powerful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXEraRnE4o

Jolinda said...

I thought of Kenya also. I love reading about how God has touched your life thru your experience in Kenya. You are such a blessing!

Jolinda