Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Kenya...

This is so overdue! I'm sorry! It's been one heck of a week starting classes again and trying to readjust to this life in Indiana! (Jen you were right - it definitely can be overwhelming!)

My trip to Kenya was interesting to say the least. As most of you know presidential elections were going on in Kenya when our group was there. They have never had any problems with the elections before in this country, however, this year riots/violence occurred all through the country due to accusations towards the newly elected president of rigging the election. We were completely safe during all of this, unfortunately the town we were staying in was not. Homes, churches, and people were burned. We saw people throwing huge rocks in the road, so no one could leave their homes or get through. But through all of this violence and senseless acts, we were safe, because we had to stay at our compound (the baby center) through most of it. We were able to go on a safari one day, but that was just before the major riots broke out. Continue to keep Kenya in your prayers as they try and settle their tribal disputes.



As for the good part of my trip! The babies! I loved each and every one of them and it broke my heart to not be able to pack them all up and take them home!! We all loved staying right at the center, so that we could do down and play with them anytime we wanted. Everyday in the afternoon we would take them outside to play in the sun and on the playground equipment. It felt nice to get them out of that center and into some fresh air! Some of the kids warmed up to us really fast. Others it took a little while. But when they did it was so precious. They definitely stole my heart, and not a day goes by that I think of one or all of them and I wonder how they are doing. I wish I knew the stories behind all of them. But some of them you can look in their eyes and just know that they haven't had it easy by any means. I know that by being at the center though, they really are making a better life for themselves. None of them had a choice where they were brought- some were found in the streets, others were brought to the center's gate and left, while others their parents actually brought them to the center and dropped them off knowing that they wouldn't be able to take care of them the way they deserved. I have to respect these parents. I'm sure giving up your baby is one of the hardest things a parent will ever do. But they know what is best for their son or daughter and have brought them to a place where they know they will be cared for, loved, and given a chance at a new life by being put up for adoption. I'm sure within the next few days I'll be updating more, and you'll get to see more of my pictures. I'll try and highlight a baby that I have lots of pictures of too. Plus there's so much more about my trip you need to know! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Jolinda said...

Michelle -
I still think about Kenya too. In fact I quite often "Dream of Africa"! You were such a blessing on our team and I know God will use this trip - crazy as it was - in so many ways in your life! I look forward to further blogs.
Love in Him - Jolinda

jenn said...

oh michelle...what a great start to the week, by reading this post. as i read a little about your experience, i couldn't help but begin to understand the impact you all had there. as well as the impact that kenya had on you. and i think those in kenya will remain in your heart. even now, i still look at the time here, calculate the time it is in malawi and think of what my friends must be doing now. you've made such a connection to the rest of the world, and i look forward to seeing how this experience continues to unfold and shape who you are. love ya lots...and keep the pictures coming :)...m.e.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back and I'm so glad you all stayed safe during the riots! I'm sure you had life-changing experiences that you'll always remember. Sometimes on missions trips we are the ones that come back changed! It's so wonderful!