Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Selfless Sacrafice

My heart has been heavy this week with the news of Travis. It seems ironic that the 4th of July is just a few days away. I read Rob's blog tonight and shed quite a few tears at his words of thankfulness for soldiers just like Travis who have given their lives for this country. This July 4th, during the fireworks, I won't be thinking of the fun I had that night, I won't be thinking of the people around me. I'll be thinking of Travis. His family. His wife. I'll be thinking of the rest of the armed forces who lead our country without recognition. Rob made a comment in his blog that I have thought since the moment I heard about Travis. I see Travis at the gates of Heaven being greeted by God. I picture God wrapping his arms around Travis and whispering in his ear - "Well done my good and faithful servant. Well done." Then I see that grin. That famous Travis grin that we all have commented on in the last few days.

In Rob's blog he says this, "From what was shared with us, Travis had a few hours after the accident before he passed, and he spent his final words sharing his love for his wife, his family, and his God. He said he was proud to give his life doing what he truly loved: defending his country. What a beautiful example of selfless sacrifice, just like Jesus made for each of us on the cross."


I cried as I read Travis' last moments. I weeped for his wife. I can only imagine how badly she wanted to be there with him, holding his hand. Kissing him one last time. I cried for his family who would have done anything to be there in that moment as well. But mostly, I cried because of Travis' faithfullness to his call. His selfless sacrafice. You are our hero Travis.


Well Done Travis. Well done.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Michelle,

Thanks for your posts about Travis...since I didn't know him well, it's been interesting to read the thoughts of those who did in posts like yours or on different message boards. He sounds like a good man, and a good friend. I'm sure he's already missed by many. Thanks for sharing.